The Institute carries out fundamental scientific research, scientific and applied research, innovative and consulting activities in the field of breeding, seed production and technologies for growing forage crops.
Institute of Forage Crops has one scientific department: “ Selection and Technology „.
The Scientific Department „Selection and Technology“ works in the field of:
- Genetic resources (varieties, populations, lines, branches, etc.) – development and preservation of annual and perennial legumes and grasses;
- Development of new varieties of annual and perennial legume and grass forage crops in different areas of use;
- 3. Seed production, variety maintenance, methodical control of certified varieties and candidate varieties;
- 4. Crop production and pasture farming, including: development of technologies for growing forage crops in the conditions of sustainable and biological forage production and creation of highly productive sown meadows and pastures, improvement, maintenance and use of natural pastures;
- 5. Plant protection: development of an integrated system of management and control of pests in forage crops (diseases, weeds and insects);
- Biochemical evaluation, forage quality and nutritional value of annual and perennial forage crops.
- Institute performs expert, consulting and design work on projects and programs in the field of breeding, seed production and technologies for growing forage crops of national, regional and international importance;
- Institute carries out educational activity by preparing doctoral students for the acquisition of the educational and scientific degree „PhD“ in accredited scientific specialties under the conditions and according to the order of the Law for the development of the academic staff in the Republic of Bulgaria, the Law on Higher Education and the current normative acts;
- Institute carries out educational activities by training specialists and conducting courses to increase the qualifications of persons who are employed in the field of forage production and crop production.
The following varieties have been created at the Institute of Forage Crops:
- Medicago sativa– Pleven 1, Pleven 6, Pleven 13, Obnova 10, IFK Victoria, Storgozia, IFK Vit, IFK Vera, IFK Dara and Dama
- Spring forage pea – Pleven 4 and Kerpo
- Winter forage pea – Pleven 10 and Mir
- Spring vetch – Tempo
- Dactylis glomerata – Dabrava
- Festuca arundinacea – Albena
- Bromus inermis – Nika
- Lolium perenne – Harmony
- Agropyron cristatum – Freshness
- Agropyron desertorum – Morava